Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Eye Wasn't As Corny(a) As I Expected It To Be


Recently, I bought The Eye, mainly because it was 5 dollars and because I love Jessica Alba without parallel. But not blindly. I know a shitty movie when I see it, even if I love one of its protagonists (Love Guru comes to mind but there are more, Good Luck Chuck isn't winning any awards anytime soon). However, I decided to give this one a shot, it's based on a japanese movie which usually works out well.

Jessica Alba plays Sydney, a blind violinist who hasn't been able to see since she was five. But because of technology (wooo technology!) she can now get a corneal transplant. So she does this, and can now see! But she starts to see scary visions mainly involving fire and freaky ghost children. So she selfishly makes her eye therapist (who is of course in love with her) risk his license, finding out who the donor was and taking her to MEXICO so she can talk to the girl's mother about her dead daughter, while looking into the eyes of her buried child. But surprisingly, this works out well for all parties. I'm not going to ruin the ending, but this movie was well-acted by Alba, however it was a little bit of a one note bird. It's a good note though.

I like the ending, it's not too feel-good fairy tale. It's a good little movie, especially if you're not REALLY into scary movies, because it is scary, but not filled with cheap scare tactics and unnecessary gore the way some of these "movies" being made nowadays are. CoughTexasChainsawMassacrecough.

Also MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment